epix-devel

[ePiX-devel] New version numbering

From: Andrew D. Hwang
Subject: [ePiX-devel] New version numbering
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:13:11 -0500 (EST)

Subsequent releases of ePiX will be numbered as follows.

1. The current line will continue in the 1.0.n sequence. (Version 1.0.23
  incorporates new data plotting classes -- data_file and data_bins. The
  data_bins::plot function remains unimplemented, though it's documented
  in the manual.)

2. Version 1.1.n, substantially rewritten, will work almost exactly the
  same from the user's perspective, but is implemented very differently. A
  Version 1.1.0 package is available, but is not linked from the project
  page. This package *does not* work completely, does not build or run
  consistently across my test platforms, and may voraciously gobble all
  your free memory. (Not an idle disclaimer!) However, it can create
  images, and may be of interest. I'll update it about once a week.

  This code branch will have version numbers inspired by Linux: 1.1.n is
  *unstable*. When the serious bugs have been squashed, I'll add it to the
  project page. Once things are safely usable, the code will become 1.2.0.

  Probably 1.2.n will be the final 1.x series, but if not, subsequent
  code will be numbered 1.(2k+1).n (unstable) and 1.(2k+2).n (stable).

3. Work on Version 2.0 is on hold, pending a working Version 1.2. I do not
  plan to release 2.0.0 until the code is stable and usable, but will
  periodically update the "2.0pre" package on the project page.

--Andy

Andrew D. Hwang                 address@hidden
Department of Math and CS       http://mathcs.holycross.edu/~ahwang
College of the Holy Cross       (508) 793-2458 (Office: 320 Swords)
Worcester, MA, 01610-2395       (508) 793-3530 (fax)