epix-devel

[ePiX-devel] Miscellaneous requests for input

From: Andrew D. Hwang
Subject: [ePiX-devel] Miscellaneous requests for input
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 23:02:25 -0400 (EDT)

The Version 1.1.x source tree is nearing the stage where additional output formats (metapost, pict2e, pgf, svg...?) can be coded. I'd be interested in the value and interest level of providing these (and/or other) output formats, and would especially welcome coding assistance.
---

When compiling memory-intensive figures (such as shaded surfaces), elaps can take several seconds, then fail because latex runs out of memory. As a fix for this issue, I propose having elaps save the resulting eepic file rather than using a temporary. The user can then call "elaps -H" on the eepic file instead of having to recompile from the xp file. Please let me know if this would be problematic for any reason.
---

Because path clipping is now effected edge by edge, functions having poles can get plotted badly if an edge joins points with large coordinates of opposite sign. (The file samples/cropplot.xp manually avoids the poles for now, but this isn't a permanent solution). I have some ideas for detecting numerical singularities in plots, but welcome suggestions.
---

In 1.1.x, data plotting does not crop by default; it's impossible to get the crop state in the present implementation, and I'm hesitant to add the capability just to have scatter plots get cropped. However, it might make sense to *turn on cropping by default*; that way, users must explicitly request a figure to occupy more page space than allocated. Does this seem like reasonable (or even preferable) behavior?
---

Andrew D. Hwang                 address@hidden
Department of Math and CS       http://mathcs.holycross.edu/~ahwang
College of the Holy Cross       (508) 793-2458 (Office: 320 Swords)
Worcester, MA, 01610-2395       (508) 793-3530 (fax)