erc-discuss

[Erc-discuss] annoyance when reconnecting..

From: Stephan Stahl
Subject: [Erc-discuss] annoyance when reconnecting..
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2006 17:40:48 +0200 (CEST)

Hi.

I'm used to leaving point at the last line i read on a irc channel so
i can pickup later and read what others wrote in meantime.  Emacs -nw
within a screen (the program) is sooo much better then a bouncer
:). However when erc gets disconnected, reconnects and reuses the
buffer (erc-reuse-buffers t) it changes the cursor position and makes
it really hard to read what happend.  Its hard to find the last cursor
position.  A workaround is to use (erc-reuse-buffers nil).  Point
stays at its old position in the disconnected channel/server buffer
and M-< can be used to read the new buffers from the start on. But one
can get quite a lot of buffers that way and i have to read all the
older buffers first as the logs are not inserted in the new buffers..

Maybe erc could push the mark when reusing a buffer so its easy to go
back to the last cursor position or an option to leave point were it
currently is when reusing a buffer.

Pushing the mark seems rather easy in (defun erc (...)..).
What do you think?

Please include me CC as i'm not subscribed to the list..

Thanks,
Stephan
--
Stephan Stahl