erc-discuss

[Erc-discuss] Some reconnect issues ironed out

From: Michael Olson
Subject: [Erc-discuss] Some reconnect issues ironed out
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 21:19:54 -0500

Thanks to some work by fledermaus on #emacs, ERC will now do the right
thing when the /reconnect command is used on a connection that is
still active.  Previously, this would cause channel and server buffers
to have a "<2>" added to them, leaving the buffers for the previous
connection alone.  Now it terminates the connection properly and
forces an immediate reconnection.

Also, I've separated the periodic time to ping a server from the
timeout value for an unresponsive server.  This might hopefully fix
some issues with Bitlbee connections restarting a lot, as well as
issues with using Freenode from a less-than-perfect connection.  ERC
will now ping the server every 30 seconds, but only force a
reconnection if it has not received a response in the past 120
seconds.  These values may be modified by changing
erc-server-send-ping-interval and erc-server-send-ping-timeout,
respectively.

With this, I think we are very close to being release-ready for ERC
5.2.  Please feel free to try out the latest development changes and
report whether things seem to be going well.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net