erc-discuss

[Erc-discuss] ERC buglet with reconnect

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: [Erc-discuss] ERC buglet with reconnect
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:39:03 -0600

This morning, like most mornings, when I first sat down at my computer
one of my ERC sessions had timed out.  (This happens daily because my
VPN times out after 24 hours, and this particular irc server can only
be accessed over the VPN...)

I switched to the server buffer and typed "/reconnect".  In response
Emacs said:

    ERC: No process running

Any ideas?  I tried setting stack-trace-on-error and doing it again,
but this showed nothing.

I'm using the ERC that comes with a Fedora 7 pre-release of Emacs 22.
I'm not sure when ERC was updated during the Emacs 22 release cycle,
so I don't know if this is out of date or not..

Any suggestions on what to look at tomorrow morning?  :-)

Oh, I think I see.  C-m is bound to erc-send-current-line.  Before
calling erc-send-input (which eventually calls erc-process-input-line,
which would end up calling erc-cmd-RECONNECT), it does:

     ((not (erc-server-buffer-live-p))
      (message "ERC: No process running")
      (beep))

... so this is the problem.  And, the use of message+beep is why I
couldn't get a stack trace.  (Aside: why not use error here?)

Perhaps this function could explicitly check for "/reconnect" before
failing?

Tom