erc-discuss

[Erc-discuss] erc + quail problem

From: John J Foerch
Subject: [Erc-discuss] erc + quail problem
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2008 16:55:51 -0500

Hello,

I originally posted this to emacs.pretest-bugs, but got no respose.
It seems that the source of the problem is related to erc, so maybe by
posting to this list, it will get the attention of an erc expert.

I'm able to reproduce a problem with the following steps in both gui
and non-gui invocations of emacs 23 from CVS, on a Debian Lenny
machine.

  Run: emacs -Q
  M-x erc RET
  ; connect to irc with defaults at all prompts
  ; change buffer to *scratch*
  C-\ chinese-py RET
  n e <backspace> <backspace>
  ; now wait at least a minute, then type a character that should
  ; invoke the input method, such as j.  it does not go to the
  ; input method.  instead, it appears in the buffer as ordinary
  ; ascii.

I don't believe the problem has to do with the `chinese-py' input
method itself, because I also reproduced it with another input method
that is not part of emacs, `chinese-wubi'.

There is the fact of the delay involved to reproduce the problem.  If
you do not wait to type a character after typing <backspace> the
problem is not reliably reproduced.  This makes me wonder if quail is
somehow getting disturbed during erc's network interaction.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
John Foerch