erc-discuss

Re: [Erc-discuss] [OT] Emacs crashes

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Re: [Erc-discuss] [OT] Emacs crashes
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2015 12:12:34 +0000

 >> It still happens to me; although subjectively, it became less of a
 >> problem in the recent years. Per my experience, it tends to happen
 >> when dealing with characters outside of the ASCII set (see [1] for
 >> an example), so this probably counts as being dependent on the use
 >> case.

 >> [1] http://debbugs.gnu.org/19435

 > I use Emacs in a Linux VT ("the console", specifically /dev/tty1) and
 > some goofy chars may screw up the display, yes,

        FWIW, I’d expect this to only happen for zero-width characters
        (such as, say, U+0301 COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT), or perhaps
        (assuming VGA text mode) for any characters having width other
        than 1.

 > but that never led to a crash,

        The report at [1] comes with a recipe to reliably reproduce the
        crash (as in: SIGSEGV.)  Following bug-gnu-emacs@, I’ve got an
        impression that reports of crashes are filed at least once every
        few weeks.

 > rather just changing buffers once or a couple of times has been
 > enough.

        Shouldn’t C-l help in this case?  Or perhaps M-: (redisplay t)?

--
FSF associate member #7257  http://am-1.org/~ivan/      … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A