erp-exchange

[ERP] gallows binary

From: Nathan Munoz
Subject: [ERP] gallows binary
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 12:51:43 +0300

Henceforth anything that tookaway the gesture of worship would stunt and even maim him for ever. It is misunderstanding the psychology of day-dreams. Not one of them was a revolution,save in the sense of the revolution of the sun and moon. There was at least no doubt about the dragon. They are refined and intelligent enough to indulge sometimesin a self-conscious diabolism. It might be said truly to have painted the map purple. In order to understandit we must pass to a review of the other kind of paganism.
He himself can stand for ever in the noble andnatural attitude of the statue of the Praying Boy. He feelsthe presence of powers about which he guesses and invents.
There seems a disproportionbetween the priest and the altar or between the altar and the god. In their dealings with their god Moloch,they themselves were always careful to deliver the goods. Polytheism, or that aspect of paganism, was never to the paganwhat Catholicism is to the Catholic. For a shadow is a shape; a thing which reproduces shape butnot texture.
They were too closely imprisoned by the white winter and theendless dark.
One fell back on toleration and the other on revolution. So far could the lonelyimagination lead, and we must turn later to the lonely reason.
For most cannibalism is not a primitive or even a bestial habit. It is misunderstanding the psychology of day-dreams. It follows that he dealtmuch with morals; but he bound them up strictly with manners. It is the voice of a dreamer and an idealist crying,Why cannot these things be? This feeling existsin both the forms of paganism here under consideration. In the ancient world the demons often wandered abroad like dragons. In other words, the demonshave really been in hiding since the coming of Christ on earth.
Pagan gods were depicted as tossing men like dice;and indeed they are loaded dice. Nowhere along this road did the two ever travel together.
We know the last secret revealed to the perfect initiate. And it is not the voice of a priest or a prophet saying Thesethings are. It is notable not only in ethicsbut in aesthetics. They believed, in the appropriate modern phrase, in people whodelivered the goods.
We therefore feel throughout the whole of paganism a curious doublefeeling of trust and distrust. But we all know that this didnot mean that all pagan men thought of nothing but pagan gods. The difference is only that which divides a portrait of Queen Elizabethfrom Queen Elizabeth. Sooner or later a man deliberatelysets himself to do the most disgusting thing he can think of. But this fact is falsifiedby the error that I put first in this note on mythology.