espressomd-devel

[ESPResSo-devel] Build system overhauled

From: Olaf Lenz
Subject: [ESPResSo-devel] Build system overhauled
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:28:04 +0100

Hello everybody!

I have just merged all the work I have been doing on the build system
during the last month or so into the master. I would be happy if you
would test building ESPResSo and tell me about problems with it.
The modifications should simplify building ESPResSo, in particular in
non-standard environment, as it gives you more control over the binary
and the MPI implementation.

In more detail:
* "Espresso" is now the actual binary instead of a wrapper shell
  script that automatically calls MPI. This means that it is
  necessary to call "mpiexec" or "mpirun" youself to run ESPResSo in
  an MPI environment.

* MPI recognition has changed. The build system first needs to find
  out how to compile an MPI binary. If it doesn't find out
  automatically, you can help it by setting the variable MPICC or
  LDFLAGS correctly.  Furthermore, it needs to know how to run an MPI
  binary.  If "mpiexec" is available, everything is fine.  If it is
  not, you can provide a script "mympiexec.sh" that behaves like
  mpiexec.

* So far, when you built in the source directory, all files ended up
  in a subdirectory "obj.XXX", where XXX was some description of the
  processor you used.  This non-standard behavior has been removed.
  Instead, the files are generated directly in the source directory
  when compiling there.
  If you want to compile several binaries from a single source
  directory, you can use build directories as described in the
  User's Guide.

Olaf

--
Dr. rer. nat. Olaf Lenz
Institut für Computerphysik, Pfaffenwaldring 27, D-70569 Stuttgart