[ESPResSo] Question about Espresso Installation

From: Lorenzo Isella
Subject: [ESPResSo] Question about Espresso Installation
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:26:15 +0100

Dear All,
I need to have two Espresso installations on my system, one for
production numerical experiments and one for development.
I am running Debian testing on my system and installed espresso 2.1.0
for production using the procedure
(1) configure + options
(2) make
(3) checkinstall (rather than a plain make install)

I did (3) in order to obtain a debian package I can eventually
remove/manage later on via apt.

Now, what I need right now is to have this other "experimental"
version of espresso installed  in some particular directory, without
getting in the way of the other installation.
If I understand correctly the user guide, this amounts to repeating
steps (1) and (2) and then replacing step (3) with something along the
lines of

make install prefix=/home/user/espresso_experimental/

and everything will be installed in the
/home/user/espresso_experimental/ directory so that I can eventually
get rid of this espresso installation simply removing this directory.
Am I right? Is this going to have any consequences on my system?
Sorry if I am asking something rather trivial, but the last thing I
want is to damage my production espresso installation.
Kind Regards

Lorenzo