Re: [ESPResSo-users] Fence-like density distribution MD+LB

From: Owen Hickey
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Fence-like density distribution MD+LB
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2015 16:59:46 +0100

Hey Aleksei,

The behaviour you describe is the result of the coupling scheme with
the LB not producing the exact same friction for all positions within
a plaquette, see Fig. 5 on page 55 of
http://arxiv.org/pdf/0803.2826.pdf. There are three ways  that I know
of to reduce this effect:
1) switch the ratio of the bare friction parameter in the LB to
viscosity*density*agrid (this is what you've done by increasing agrid)
2) switch to the three point coupling scheme (although be wary, in the
current release it is buggy so you would need to download the new
master from Github)
3) switch the type of noise used in the LB, the default is currently a
flat distribution which produces a stable LB but seems to make this
problem worst from my experience.

One last thing, about which I am not entirely certain, is changing the
temperature of the LB itself may alter the magnitude of this effect.
As for moving the specific position of the LB boundary I am not sure I
have any advice except to keep in mind that on the GPU the boundary
will always be more or less at whole integer multiples of agrid
(unless this has changed since the last time I looked at the code).

I hope that helps!

Owen