Re: [ESPResSo-users] Question about the setting of agrid in L-B fluidics

From: Peter Košovan
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] Question about the setting of agrid in L-B fluidics
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 23:58:53 +0200

Hey Joe,

sorry for responding with such a delay - I somehow missed this conversation.

My original comment was for a polymer in the Langevin thermostat, i.e. without hydrodynamics. There the rule of thumb is max 200-300 beads. I am not sure for LB fluid, here I only played with short polymers, and it also depends on other paramters of your simulation. But there is a simple way to estimate it: take a series of short polymers (e.g. N=20, 50, 70), measure the autocorrelation time of some slow variable, such as Re, plot it as a function of N in double-log scale and extrapolate to estimate autocorrelation times for higher N.

Note, however, that you need more than bring your system to equilibrium - that's just the initial stage. After that, you need to collect a suficient number of statistically independent samples of system configurations, given by the ratio of runtime (discarding equilibration) and the autocorrelation time.

As Axel pointed out in response to my earlier comment, if you are interested in short-time dynamics, you may try and use MC to generate a number of equilibrium configurations and then use LB fluid to follow dynamical evolution on a shorter time scale.

With best regards,

peter

Thanks Peter. I believe with LB fluid, a 16um long polymer with 50nm persistance length is even hopeless.

I thought if I started with generating them in a SAW way, I may reach the equilibrium status reasonably fast with the help of gpu p3m.

So could I know the practical max number of beads people have done for time up to 100ms using gpu system with LB fluid?

Joe