Re: [ESPResSo-users] boost_mpi not available

From: Rudolf Weeber
Subject: Re: [ESPResSo-users] boost_mpi not available
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 17:49:54 +0100

Hi,
On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 05:10:29PM +0100, Andreas Härtel wrote:
> Dear ESPResSo list,
> I like to make/compile espresso on the BW nemo cluster, where boost_mpi is
> not available (cmake always stops with an error). Is it possible to switch
> MPI off or to work around? I need ESPResSo just as a single core job.
> I am using the current development version.
> Thanks and best regards,
> Andreas
Espresso requires mpi even on a single core. Otherwhise, it would be necessary
to write a lot of code twice and keeping the copies synchronized thereafter.
Compiling boost is not terribly complicated. On clusters, you typically need to
load the mpi and gcc modules you are using for compiling Espresso before
starting the process.
After compiling boost, you need to pass
-D Boost_DIR=path_to_your_boost_build
to cmake.
I did that successfully on BW Unicluster.
The help desk of the cluster might also be willing to help or to provide
boost-mpi as a module.

Regards, Rudolf