fab-user

[Fab-user] some basic python questions

From: Bryan Berry
Subject: [Fab-user] some basic python questions
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 12:43:17 +0545

hey guys,

These questions aren't really germane to fabric specifically but I am
bothering you all because this is the only python-related list I
currently subscribe to ;)

They came up when I wrote a 300-line software build script in python, my
first significant programming project in a decade ;)

1. Which unit testing framework do u guys recommend? I have done
tutorials on unittest and doctest and will do tutorials on nose and
py.test today. I don't particularly like doctest as I feel it clutters
up my code.

2. Can you guys point to any good tutorials for using unit testing in
system administration? I manage 4 sysadmins and I want to get them to
use unit testing extensively in our scripting.

3. Which IRC channels do u recommend for interacting w/ the Python
community? I went to #python at irc.freenode.net and found only 8
participants.

4. Do you guys recommend any particular build tool like SCons, make,
waf, buildbot for automating software builds? In my case the builds put
together flash-based learning games, not pure python or C stuff.

5. Can anyone recommend a really good book on test-driven development?

thanks a lot and sorry for the spam.

--
Bryan W. Berry
Technology Director