fab-user

[Fab-user] Question on "roles" and depend vs invoke.

From: Nicolas Steinmetz
Subject: [Fab-user] Question on "roles" and depend vs invoke.
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:58:40 +0100

Hello,

I just switched to master version to get roles, depends & last commit from Jeff working and I have a question on the sample file :

1/ Question on roles :

@roles('rdbms')
def prepare_db():
    run("echo Preparing database for deployment")

@roles('httpd')
def prepare_web():
    run("echo Preparing web servers for deployment")

@depends(prepare_db, prepare_web)
@roles('httpd')
def deploy():
    run("echo Doing final deployment things to $(fab_host)")

What is the use of @roles("httpd") for deploy whereas  roles are already set in the prepare_db and prepare_web level ?

Shouldn't it be :

@depends(prepare_db, prepare_web)
def deploy():
    run("echo Doing final deployment things to $(fab_host)")

2/ Question on depends vs invoke

Based on same example, should i understand that depends will be run and then act as a replacement of invoke ?

3/ Fabric > 0.0.9 is python 2.5+ only as functools is not available in python 2.4 (which I have to use... so I'm blocked on 0.0.9 release at work... grumbl...)

Nicolas