fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] bug in latest master?

From: Christian Vest Hansen
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] bug in latest master?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 12:05:21 +0100

On Thu, Nov 27, 2008 at 5:22 AM, Leo Shklovskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded the trunk version of Fabric and I'm getting this error
> when I try to run invoke in a fabfile:
>
> invoke(foo_bar)
> File "build\bdist.win32\egg\fabric.py", line 655, in invoke
> TypeError: _execute_command() takes at least 3 non-keyword arguments (2
> given)
>
> It looks like the invocation on line 665 doesn't match either of the
> signatures of _execute_command(). Is this a bug or am I missing something?

That was a bug and I have pushed a fix.

> As a followup question, is trunk/master stable for use in the same way
> Django's trunk is? or should I really stick to the release?

We try to keep master "reasonably stable" but that is only in terms of
having the basic stuff work. Master is the working branch and we allow
ourselves to add, remove and change features. For this reason, I
generally wouldn't recommend using master checkouts in a production
setting, but it all comes down to the kind of risk you're willing to
take with release automation. For instance, you might keep your own
tags in your checkout of which versions of master that works with your
fabfiles, and you might feel confident that you know how to handle the
situation if the latest master breaks your fabfiles.