fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] How to set config when using fabric "programmatically"?

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] How to set config when using fabric "programmatically"?
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 17:02:34 -0500

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 4:30 PM, Heikki Toivonen
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I am sorry, I did not make my use pattern clear. I am *importing* fabric
> into my own script. I am not using fab, and I don't have a fabfile.

Fabric 0.1.0 (and I think 0.0.9) is not currently designed to be used
as a module, only via the 'fab' command-line tool. Looking at 0.0.8, I
think it would have worked to some degree as a module, but in the 8
months since then we've seen a lot of additional functionality added,
which has unfortunately complicated things in that regard.

I am in the middle of a reorganization/rewrite that will -- if it goes
well and we decide to release it -- result in Fabric retaining
most/all of its newer functionality, as well as being a fully
well-behaved Python module (no more magic). So, if Fabric worked for
you as a module in the past, this new version would again work that
way, and hopefully even better.

Again, though, that's not 100% done yet and Christian and I still
haven't fully discussed the nature of the beast -- so no promises :)
Until then, I'm afraid you'll need to stick with 0.0.8 or possibly
0.0.9 (which looks like it does avoid at least some of the
can't-use-as-a-module complications).

Best,
Jeff