fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] pty config option

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] pty config option
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 09:49:25 -0400

Hi Aljosa,

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Aljosa
Mohorovic<address@hidden> wrote:
> fabric.operations.run(command, shell=True, pty=False) defaults to
> False for pty, is there some config option that sets pty=True for all
> operations?

There is not, but there is a ticket for adding such a global option:

    http://code.fabfile.org/issues/show/27

When implemented this would also solve your problem regarding
higher-level functions, such as contrib.files.*, not exposing the
option themselves.

> also, i can't find section about $HOME/.fabric at
> http://docs.fabfile.org/1.0/ although in older versions i did use
> .fabric for hosts, username, etc.

The docs are still being updated, but there's a tiny mention of it in
the first bullet item here:

http://docs.fabfile.org/0.9/compatibility.html#other-backwards-incompatible-changes

(It's now $HOME/.fabricrc instead of $HOME/.fabric -- otherwise it
should behave the same as before.)

> just out of curiosity, i would like to know why pty is set to False?
> i lack knowledge in this area so could somebody please explain why
> it's better to have pty=False?

Mostly just inertia; it's been that way since the beginning and it
hasn't been enough of a pain for enough people to get it changed to
being on by default.

Offhand I do think it might be convenient to switch it to True by
default, but before doing so I'd need to check and try to see if there
are any drawbacks -- I can imagine there might be some situations or
OS versions where trying to force a pty makes things blow up too.

Feel free to add a comment to the above-mentioned ticket; chances are
that if I do make this change I would do so when implementing that
feature. It would also only happen for 1.0, not 0.9.x, as it's
backwards incompatible :)

Best,
Jeff