fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Fabric Doc Examples - String Interpolation

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Fabric Doc Examples - String Interpolation
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 14:05:39 -0400

Hey James,

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 1:55 PM, James Thigpen
<address@hidden> wrote:

> I know the string interpolation change is listed in the "what's changed"
> section for 0.9, but I didn't really think to look at what's changed since I
> never used 0.1.
>
> [...]
>
> Partial shame on me for not asking someone in the know sooner.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'm not sure I want to put a lot in the
docs that *assumes* someone has been reading 0.1.x era tutorials; I'm
basically trying to cut a clean slate with this new version.

However, I definitely *can* put in a single, obvious note that tries
to guide people in your situation, e.g. "Fabric 0.9 is very different
in spots than the previous version -- old tutorials and blog posts are
out of date. To get a sense of how to translate such material to
Fabric 0.9, please see <link to whats-changed docs>". Having that on
the docs index and/or the top of the tutorial would hopefully be
enough to catch most such visitors.

I can also probably throw in an interpolation example like yours into
the tutorial somewhere, because while my habit is to do e.g.

    "foo %s" % env.blah

instead of

    "foo %(blah)s" % env

the latter *is* pretty elegant and very useful if you're sticking >1
env var into a single string. Something good for people not used to
that interpolation style to have put in front of them.

Thanks for the feedback!

Best,
Jeff