fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Any interest in extension to support getting things from

From: Jeremy Katz
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Any interest in extension to support getting things from source control?
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 11:21:34 -0400

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 10:02 AM, Jeff Forcier <address@hidden> wrote:
> tl;dr version: it *may* make sense to add contrib SCM support, but
> only if there's a demonstrated need for something greater than
> 'run("my_scm_tool (clone|checkout) repository_url")' :) Anyone with
> that sort of need, please pipe up with some use cases!

For one thing, if you want to be able to reliably handle errors, run()
isn't going to be feature-ful enough unless you're wrapping some sort
of shell scripting.  I'd prefer to keep to one language ;-)  Also, I'm
currently in an environment where we're using svn today but hopefully
git at some point in the future.  With the right level of abstraction,
that could be mostly a no-op from the side of our deployment scripts.

I'm not 100% decided that Fabric is the right tool for our needs, but
I have a strong leaning towards trying to reuse and build on top of
existing projects rather than starting from scratch

> Full replies below.
>
>> On Oct 6, 2009, at 10:58 PM, Jeremy Katz wrote:
>>
>>> is there any interest in having some
>>> actual support for pulling files from source control?
>
> There is interest; I think other users have mentioned it before, and I
> was thinking of putting it in sometime, if it could be done well and
> unobtrusively, and if there's an actual need for anything more
> involved than "run('git clone git://foo.com/bar.git')".
>
> If you could provide a quick overview of what you'd like to do and how
> something built in to Fabric would make your life easier, please do!

The current scripts that we're using end up using a few basic scm tasks
* Checkouts
* Status to find out what rev we're at
* Reverts to ensure no one screwed with the code on the remote box and
avoid needing a merge
* Logging to get commit log messages.

And basically, I'm at the point of spending a lot of effort improving
what we have today or spending the effort moving us to something
that's not home-grown and can benefit more people.  Which is where
fabric came in.  But if the fit's not good, then that's cool too -- it
just seemed worth asking rather than assuming

- Jeremy