fab-user

[Fab-user] Project status update

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: [Fab-user] Project status update
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:41:43 -0400

Hi all,

Those of you following the Fabric ticket tracker know that I've been
working on a massive upgrade to Fabric's I/O capabilities and our
ability to test the library[1]. This work has finally wound down and
it's pretty much ready to enter the master branch and get some wider
testing!

Before I do so, I want to backport all the backwards compatible fixes
and feature additions from master into the 0.9 series, since doing the
big #7 merge beforehand could make backporting more difficult.

What does this mean for you?

* Fabric 0.9.2 will come out very soon, with some/most/(all?) of the
backports from master -- plus other 0.9-specific changes;
* The new I/O overhaul will be merged into master soon afterwards, and
will thus impact any of you tracking master for day-to-day work;
* Assuming this wider testing doesn't find any showstoppers, we'll
start planning a 1.0.0 release centered around the interactivity
feature and whatever else is left in master due to being backwards
incompatible.

(In order to get things moving quicker, the backported-from-master
changes may be split up between 0.9.2 and 0.9.3. In this case, 0.9.3
should follow relatively quickly after 0.9.2 -- as in, a few weeks to
a month, instead of a few months.)

I'll post another followup once this process is largely complete, and
will also be updating the Redmine roadmap[2] so it reflects these
changes.

Thanks,
Jeff

[1] http://code.fabfile.org/issues/show/7 and all of its related
tickets -- very big ticket, the tl;dr is "fully interactive remote
processes".
[2] http://code.fabfile.org/projects/roadmap/fabric

--
Jeff Forcier