fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Invoking a remote bash script

From: Erich Heine
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Invoking a remote bash script
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 17:59:33 -0500

Hi Yungwei,

The short answer to this question is: "No problem!".

The slightly longer answer is: you can run shell scripts from fabric, but a few gotcha's include:

* running location/pwd: you need to explicitly run the script using the with cd(...) construct to keep paths relevant.

* environment: depending on which of .profile, .bashrc, .bashprofile and so on you use, your environment may change when run  from fabric. its best to verify these are the same as you expect before running a script.

There may be others I am forgetting, but in general, I find using bash scripts from within fabric to be very easy. In fact, there are some cases where it is easier to push a bash script to the remote end, then tell fabric to run that :)

Regards,
Erich