fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Passing host IP addresses to Fabric tasks from other Pyth

From: Jeff Forcier
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Passing host IP addresses to Fabric tasks from other Python classes
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 08:42:46 -0700

2011/9/28 Samuli Seppänen <address@hidden>:

> I tried the "Using Fabric as a library" approach, but it failed. Either
> I messed something up, or 0.9.3 has some issues. I'll upgrade and see
> what happens.

I'd definitely try again with 1.2 or master, as there have been at
least some improvements re: using as a library, as well as bugfixes.
If it still fails, I'd be interested to know how. Threading is a bit
sketchy as Fabric relies heavily on shared module state right now
(this is one reason parallelism is using multiprocessing) but your
problem *could* conceivably be something else.

> I take it the 1.3 code is in "master" branch in Git? Fabric-vise my
> needs are simple, so it should work just fine.

Technically, yes, but I still haven't merged the (ongoing, this week)
work for multiprocessing from its feature branch (so 'master' is
currently 1.2.2 + bugfixes). Said feature branch is:

    https://github.com/fabric/fabric/tree/19-parallel-execution

I'll be announcing here on the list when I merge that into master,
though an actual release of 1.3 will probably follow that pretty
quickly so I might jump straight to that :)

-Jeff

--
Jeff Forcier
Unix sysadmin; Python/Ruby engineer