fab-user

Re: [Fab-user] Using su on boxes without sudo

From: Rahul Menon
Subject: Re: [Fab-user] Using su on boxes without sudo
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2012 03:25:41 +0530

Robert,

I think we have addressed this before.

You can do this in two ways.

use the prefix for the su and then run the commands as you require them or write a method for su and execute commands thru that.

Rahul

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:27 AM, RS <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello there,

Is there any way to switch user without getting an interactive prompt or using sudo?

I have run into an issue described as follows:

Installing software on old solaris boxes without sudo installed.
Root logins disabled.
Ssh keys unused.

I tried using a with('su -')  kind of approach, or using run, but everything I've tried thus far then pops me to a new, interactive prompt, rather than continuing the automated task.

I can exit that prompt to continue execution, but the tasks that need to be run as root never complete.

I should mention that, on boxes that allow root login or use sudo, it's all gravy.  The problem is just logging in with a non privileged user and then switching to root.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Robert