fastcgipp-users

Re: [Fastcgipp-users] about the Manager class

From: Eddie Carle
Subject: Re: [Fastcgipp-users] about the Manager class
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:09:46 -0600

On Tuesday 14 April 2009 1:59:14 pm Jean-Christophe Roux wrote:
> 1) I don't understand why this manager class is said in the doc to run an
> "endless loop". It appears that after a while without request from the
> webserver the process vanishes; it does not appear listed  by ps -A. Now,
> if I define a static member in my class deriving from Request and this
> static member acts as a counter of the number of http requests, when the
> process is restarted for a fresh http request, that counter is reset! It
> seems to me that the loop is not endless but has a limited lifespan. How
> can I set the delay between the last http request and the point at which
> the process is killed? Is there a way to have the dealy unlimited and have
> effectively an endless loop? Or maybe there is a better way than setting a
> static member?

Hi Jean,

This issue really isn't related to the fastcgi++ library which is why you're
having trouble figuring it out. Since you're getting apache to dynamically
start the FastCGI application for you, it is also killing it when it sees fit.
So the manager loop isn't ending, apache is sending the app the term then kill
signals.

> 2) For deployment purposes and to test my new app, I need to kill the
> current process so that the new app is executed right away. For the moment,
> the older app still runs until it is killed as described aboe. Is kill -9
> xyz the right and most appropriate way to kill the current app to make room
> for the new one?

This is always a pain in the ass. Again, it has to do with how apache
starts/stops FastCGI processes.

If you want complete control over the starting and stopping of the app, look
into setting up mod_fastcgi or mod_fcgid to talk to it as an external server.
--
        Eddie Carle

        This message has been signed with an RFC4880 signature. It is
        guaranteed to have originated from Eddie Carle and its contents
        can be validated against its signature.