fenfire-dev

[Fenfire-dev] Re: Could you merge

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: [Fenfire-dev] Re: Could you merge
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 17:47:58 +0300

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 03:06:29PM +0300, Janne Kujala wrote:
> Could you merge
>
> address@hidden
> sftp://himalia.it.jyu.fi/home/jvkujala/{archives}/address@hidden
> libvob--jvk--0.1--patch-10
>
> Nyt oletuksena oletetaan monitorin noudattavan sRGB:tä
> (kokeile vob.demo.lava.gamma). Minulla Eizo F730:lla ilman sRGB:n
> "offset":ia gamma oli pielessä aina joko tummilla tai vaaleilla
> väreillä, mutta nyt "xgamma -gamma .87":lla tulee epälineaarisuus
> lähes tarkalleen sRGB:n mukaan.

I think that for papers and other purposes, we need to discuss this on the list
first,
before merging.

Forcing people to adjust xgamma to such a strange value is not to be taken
lightly.

Translation of jvk's mail (I recommend posting merge requests to the list in
the future,
along with a short description so discussion can be began directly):

        Now it is assumed that the monitor obeys sRGB (try
        vob.demo.lava.gamma). For me, on an Eizo F730, without the sRGB
        "offset" the gamma was always wrong either on the dark or
        light colors, but now "xgamma -gamma .87" gives the nonlinearity
        almost exactly according to sRGB.

Now, the problem with this gamma is that all other software will look *too
dark*.
Most people will not adjust their gamma so. Another problem is that the OpenGL
filtering which is linear will not work correctly either.

        Tuomas