fenfire-dev

Re: [Fenfire-dev] Re: [vos-d] a 3D interface vision

From: Tuomas Lukka
Subject: Re: [Fenfire-dev] Re: [vos-d] a 3D interface vision
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:28:54 +0300

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 02:44:17PM -0400, Reed Hedges wrote:
> My more philosophical take on the question "Why make 3D interfaces?" is the
> rich and deep meaning that "places" and "spaces" include.  We are spatial
> beings, existing and moving in spaces, identifying places, and most
> importantly, building enclosed spaces to live in.  We also like to explore
> and
> find new places.  There are many aesthetic and emotional aspects to being
> *in*
> or *entering* or *leaving* a space, being in it with other people, being in
> some spatial configuration with things and people.

I agree that it would work **if** we had

1) an immersive, extremely high-resolution display

2) a full-boby (at least full-hand) dataglove with extreme sensitivity
   and precision

However, we don't.

My point is that with a limited-resolution display, and with a mouse and
keyboard,
3D interfaces just don't make sense - the "feeling of space" you talk about
just doesn't happen. .

        Tuomas