feuerkraft-devel

Re: [Feuerkraft-devel] libraries

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: [Feuerkraft-devel] libraries
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2004 02:34:17 +0200

"J L" <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm a french student, and I start programming in C++; I was
> wondering about the right library for an isometric 3D game. It will
> be an rpg one, and it must be fast, customisable (lower sounds,
> light images). But there are many libraries too (Clanlib, OpenGl,
> SDL...), could you help, give me links?

If you want to use 2d graphics, both ClanLib and SDL will do pretty
much all you need, SDL is lower level (plain surfaces), while ClanLib
is higher level (sprites and stuff). Big plus of ClanLib is that it
comes with a buildin OpenGL-renderer, so its a lot faster than
software rendering with SDL, disadvantage however is that the API is
much less stable. SDL however can do OpenGL rendering to, it just
requires quite a bit more work to get it working.

If you need real 3d, CrystalSpace, OGRE or plib might be worth a look.

JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927