ffss-dev

[Ffss-dev] sanity

From: Louie Kelly
Subject: [Ffss-dev] sanity
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 04:03:22 +0700

Jude, what you make of that stampede across the river?
Jett had a heavy load, as the wheel tracks cut deep.
An an equal or even strong force should be leftbehind to protect these camp posts. Then he questioned the visitinghunters in turn. It was a moment of excitement and suspense for the watching men. Plain trails were left in severalcases, but these Bear Claws would not pay any attention to. Reaching camp, Tom flung himself out of thesaddle. His scalp had beenliterally torn off, his face gashed, and his abdomen ripped open.
He said thered be every outfit represented here thismornin. It was significant tobehold these men all carrying their rifles.
This was the first night he had been alone on the Texas prairies.
Somebody hold Burn back, shouted Pilchuck, his bronze faceflashing in the sunlight.
He neednt, far as Im concerned, spoke up Tom, ringingly. Only theIndians know this plain well an they only run in heah to hideawhile. Wal, Star, thats as we reckoned, declared the scout.
Then the earth wasfilled in and stamped down hard. Yes, I saw miles of scattered herds as I rode up the river, saidTom.
Ory Tacks, the nearest to Tom, as he advanced toward the men, wascrying.
Nature never constructed amore perfect animal. It floatedacross the river from the south and steadily grew louder. Whereupon the hunters grouped themselves in the shade of thecottonwoods, like Indians in Council. Pilchuck observed this, also, for as he stoodbehind the Indian he watched him steadily. All the same, Jett was gettin away from somethin. If we dont kill off the buffalo therell never be anysettlin of northern Texas.
All the hunters gazed in silence down upon the ghastly spectacle. Doan, reckon Im a blunt man, so get your nerve, he said, withhis slits of piercing eyes on Tom.
An say, scout, spoke up Roberts, youre, shore forgettin oneimportant fact.
Soon it showed to be canyon slope with brush on the rim.
Weve got to KILL the Comanches, anlick the Kiowas, Cheyennes, an Arapahoes. Thenthe Comanches came along, destroyed the camp, an scalped the men. There was only twotrails across in them days an I reckon no more now.
Weve got to KILL the Comanches, anlick the Kiowas, Cheyennes, an Arapahoes.
Hardy rode twenty miles an more down the river, gettin back latelast night.
It was novel, strange, somehow exhilarating, and yet disturbing.
But if you was lookin fer hidethieves Id be damn interested, replied the hunter. Small-bore guns, an I dontcalkilate hunters was shootin rabbits for breakfast. Starwell, well plan to-morrow after we bury Hudnall, said thescout.
Rumor of a fight reached Hudnalls camp that night, but not untilnext day were the facts known.