ffss-dev

[Ffss-dev] sodden oil painting

From: Harold Herbert
Subject: [Ffss-dev] sodden oil painting
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 17:00:47 +0200

He went to LEscargots bed, and that, too, wasempty.
He is the son of that ToinetteGaux, the woman they call La Grenouille.
You see, Cécile explained, the little boy and I wished to offercandles, and I had no money with me. Why, some of it we use in cooking, and the rest I think mydaughter gives to our neighbours. Monseigneur, Houssart whispered, now that I have seen him in thelight, I recognize this child. At last the fall of water on the roof grew fainter, and the lightclearer.
The new Bishop had called but twice since his returnfrom France. It once happened that Toinette fell inlove, and then she made great promises of reform.
Ah, that I cannot tell, Monseigneur, replied Houssart.
Pour a little cognac init, and bring any bread there is in the house.
A light, sticky snowhad fallen irresolutely, at intervals, all day.
This morning the church was empty, except for an oldman and three women at their prayers. I wish I hadsome sweetmeats; you do not often pay me a visit. Every fall Auclair put down six dozens of them inmelted lard. He wassitting on the edge of a narrow bed, wrapped in a blanket, in thelight of a blazing fire. The childrensat contentedly in their corner, feeling the goodness of shelter. The new Bishop had called but twice since his returnfrom France. Sit down there, little man, and let me see.
She saw he wanted very much to light a candle.
It was on days like this that she lovedher town best. Jacques, Cécile asked wonderingly, do you know MonseigneurLaval? He carried acane and seemed to move his legs with some difficulty under hislong, black gown. He slippeda piece of money into her hand. Toinette took him in,drove her old sweethearts away, and married him.
Not knowing where to turn, he took the only forward waythere was, up Mountain Hill.
You might tell me about some nice saint, said Jacques presently. For some reason the Count always called him Giorgio, and that hadbecome his name in Quebec. Toinette Gaux had returned home meanwhile, and was frightened atmissing her son. Before she came up to thechildren, a light sprinkle began to fall.
Only after the death of her young husband and infant son had shebecome a religious. And is there nothing you would like foryourself? Its been a long time since we were in here together, Cécilewhispered. Certainly the new Bishop had ceased to patronizehim, which was a grief to Pommiers pious mother. I am very wellpleased with you, Cécile, because you do so well for your father. On manyof the wagons there were boxes full of earth, with rooted lettuceplants growing in them.
Her figure emergedfrom the dusk in a rich, oily, yellow light. Old Bishop Laval,who never spared himself, had been down to the square to sit withthe sick woman. Thestatue of King Louis, with a cloak and helmet of snow, lookedterrifying in the moonlight.
Observingthe little boy closely, he had come to feel a real affection forhim.