fhsst-authors

Re: [Fhsst-authors] Writing competition - new draft

From: Mark Horner
Subject: Re: [Fhsst-authors] Writing competition - new draft
Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 21:39:43 -0700

Hi Riana

Thanks for the input. You raised a very important point about the advertising. Nothing is cut
and dried yet but here is what I was thinking of doing.

We would send a small colour poster to various departmental heads with a cover letter explaining the purpose and asking them to make their honours and masters students aware of the competition and to put
the poster up somewhere prominent.

We also advertise as much as possible via email (poster attached as a pdf file). Secretaries for various organisations/instutes can forward the details to their membership. These would be organisations like the South African Institute of Physics or South African Chemical Institute. We can also email it to any
departmental secretaries of any deparments we didn't send a poster to.

The other groups to email will be all the science clubs/councils at universities like the Science Students Council at UCT. I know they do have development-like activities and the people who they have at least passed
an initial science interest filter.

I am completely open to suggestions and criticisms - I actually need to get a proper quote for printing of posters and we should maybe bump up the number of posters a fair amount. You can never advertise too much :)

Cheers,

Mark

Riana Meyer wrote:

Hi Mark

Well done, I think the proposal communicates all the necessary information very efficiently. I just have a question.. have we thought how we are going to promote this competition? I saw posters in the budget.. is that just for on UCT campus or are we planning to go a bit wider to recruit entrants? If so we might need a bit more money for promotional purposes.

Cheers
Riana

Mark Horner wrote:

Hi everyone

I did some more work on the writing competition idea. The timeline I have in mind is to have a final proposal for the week of May 9th and then we can construct a list of
people to send it to - and then mail it off the weekend following.

I have a very slightly less rough draft than on Wednesday and I am looking for some
comments/suggestions/criticisms.

The draft as is stands can be downloaded (450kB) from either of these links:

http://www.nongnu.org/fhsst/WritingCompetitionIdeas.pdf

OR

http://stary2-02.lbl.gov/WritingCompetitionIdeas.pdf

So please take a look and if you have any ideas please send them in to the list - all ideas welcome. We also need to come up with a list of potential sponsors.

Cheers,

Mark