Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth's panther performance

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth's panther performance
Date: 25 Jun 2003 16:21:28 +0200

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 05:15, Joe Corneli wrote:
> Hi from San Fransisco...
>
> I had no trouble compiling on OS X version 10.3 (prerelease)
> but running the app I get the following result and no sound:

Thanks for trying it out, I was just thinking today about how I'd like
to hear more reports of how FluidSynth is working on OS X. I've
experienced some problems myself, so I want to see if others have the
same experience.

> [sf2]%clavier -o - | fluidsynth --audio-driver=coreaudio
> VintageDreamsWaves-v2.sf2 -g 8.0
> fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample SineWave: can't use ROM samples
> fluidsynth: warning: Ignoring sample SINEHI: too few sample data points
> fluidsynth: error: Couldn't find the requested midi driver
> Failed to create the MIDI thread; no MIDI input
> will be available. You can access the synthesizer
> through the console.
> fluidsynth version 1.0.2
> Copyright (C) 2000-2002 Peter Hanappe and others.
> FLUID Synth comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> under certain conditions; see the COPYING file for details.
> SoundFont(R) is a registered trademark of E-mu Systems, Inc.
>
> Type 'help' to get information on the shell commands.
>

> *  Is the same result seen by Jaguar users?
>
> *  Should I be specifying a midi driver on the command line? If so,
> which one?

I think you will probably need to get MidiShare
(http://www.frame.fr/MidiShare/). Its the only MIDI driver I think that
will run on OS X that FluidSynth supports (Markus, Peter, or anyone else
please correct me if I'm wrong). I'm not really familiar with the OS X
platform, so I don't know what its native MIDI interface is. As things
are you can probably test the synth with a command like
"noteon 0 60 127" which will play note 60 on channel 0 at 127 velocity
(highest). For the Vintage SoundFont the note will stop itself (first
preset is not continuous), for continuous sounds you'll need to do a
"noteoff 0 60 127". You can perform this test without having a MIDI
driver.

Now to the problem that I have had. I've experienced rather noisy output
from FluidSynth, like a lot of static. I've tried increasing buffer
sizes and counts (-z and -c, do "fluidsynth -h" for command line help),
but this didn't seem to help. Let me know if you think the output is
noisy as well. I want to try and track down whats causing that.

> Joe Corneli

I'd like to have Mac OS X binaries available, but I need to research how
this is done on OS X. I also need to sort out what MIDI driver gets
compiled, which you are helping with :) Cheers.
        Josh Green