[fluid-dev] LinuxTag and stuff

From: Josh Green
Subject: [fluid-dev] LinuxTag and stuff
Date: 18 Jul 2003 00:49:10 +0200

Hey there lists. I had a lot of fun at the LinuxTag this year and was
able to demo Swami and FluidSynth to some interested Linux audio
enthusiasts. It was nice to see familiar faces from the LinuxTag 2 years
ago that I attended, and to also meet many new people as well. Nothing
can compare to meeting other Linux audio developers in person, it makes
me feel much more like a part of something great :)

The development tree of Swami is actually starting to function, and it
can now load Gigasampler and DLS2 files and view their key split info,
names of the items, but little else. I'm excited about the upcoming
version, but trying to be realistic and realize that its still got some
time before things are usable. Still, its coming together and is going
to be worlds ahead of the previous Swami. I'll post some screenshots
when I have something interesting to look at.

Some things concerning FluidSynth.. I'd like to release another version
soon since there exists a crash bug that affects SoundFont files with
ROM samples. Also, I've heard a few people mention problems with clicks
in the audio due to the volume envelope decay terminating too abruptly.
I'm not quite sure how this is handled with other SoundFont devices, but
I'd like to propose that a minimum decay be set as a default value. The
question remains if the user explicitly sets a low value if FluidSynth
should obey. Any opinions on this? Markus - we discussed this before,
what is your opinion? Cheers.
        Josh Green