Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth error messages and swami

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] fluidsynth error messages and swami
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 18:44:18 -0800

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 13:31, Menteco wrote:
> Hello,
> If I install fluidsynth from the Debian apt sources I get this errors
> and then fluidsynth is not recognized when I compile swami:
> fluidsynth -a oss -m oss
> cca_open_socket: error connecting to destination 'localhost:14541':
> Connection refused
> cca_comm_connect_to_server: could not create server connection
> cca_init: could not connect to server 'localhost:14541' - disabling ladcca

The cca related errors are fine and not fatal. Make sure you also have
the fluidsynth-dev package as well, or Swami won't see FluidSynth.

> On the other hand, if I install fluidsynth from the source tar file I
> get these erros but fluidsynth is recognized by swami compilator:
> cca_open_socket: error connecting to destination 'localhost:14541':
> Connection refused
> cca_comm_connect_to_server: could not create server connection
> cca_init: could not connect to server 'localhost:14541' - disabling ladcca
> fluidsynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority scheduling for the audio
> output
> fluidsynth: warning: Couldn't set high priority scheduling for the MIDI
> input

Those errors are also ok. The warnings are due to FluidSynth being run
non-root, which leads to higher system latency, which causes clicks if
the audio buffer is too small. Increasing the size of the audio buffer
will get rid of clicks at the cost of higher latency response.

> Anyway, in this second case, when I finally run swami I get these errors:
> swami
>
> ** WARNING **: Failed to open config file
> "/home/menteco/.swami/swami.cfg": No such file or directory
>
> ** WARNING **: Failed to open config file
> "/home/menteco/.swami/swami_state.cfg": No such file or directory
>
> ** WARNING **: Failed to open config file
> "/home/menteco/.swami/plugins.cfg": No such file or directory
>
> ** WARNING **: Failed to open config file
> "/home/menteco/.swami/plugin_state.cfg": No such file or directory
> Message: Loading plugins from /usr/local/lib/swami
> Message: Loading plugin "/usr/local/lib/swami/wavetbl_fluidsynth.so"...
> Message: Plugin "/usr/local/lib/swami/wavetbl_fluidsynth.so" loaded
> Message: Loading plugin "/usr/local/lib/swami/samplelib_audiofile.so"...
> Message: Plugin "/usr/local/lib/swami/samplelib_audiofile.so" loaded
> Message: Loading plugin "/usr/local/lib/swami/samplelib_libsndfile.so"...
> Message: Plugin "/usr/local/lib/swami/samplelib_libsndfile.so" loaded
> Message: Loaded 3 plugins
> swami: pcm_params.c:2220: snd_pcm_hw_refine: Assertion `pcm && params'
> failed.
> Aborted

Looks like everything is ok, except for the last error. FluidSynth is
trying to start up in ALSA mode, which apparently you aren't using ALSA
or FluidSynth can't find a valid configuration for using ALSA. If you
are not using ALSA (and instead OSS) you can start up swami with the
'-d' switch to disable plugins, then go into preferences and set the
audio driver for FluidSynth to OSS. Exit Swami to save the config file,
then re-start it without the -d switch.

> My PATH variable is this;
> PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/kde/bin ; export
> PATH
>
> Help is welcome :-)

I hope that helped :) Let me know if you are still having troubles.
        Cheers,
        Josh Green