Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth problem

From: Joerg Anders
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth problem
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 08:51:59 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Josh Green wrote:

> It would be good to give FluidSynth a good comparison workout between
> other synths. I did a little bit of testing of that nature myself, but
> hardly scientific :)

First of all :Thank you for your answer!

> > Unfortunately, the string rendering is very important.
> > Please have a look at:
> >
> I tested out 48 (strings), I don't think I have the best ear for this
> type of stuff, but it didn't sound like it was as dramatic an attack as
> the FluidSynth sample you put on that web page.

It is dramatic. It is very dramatic! Please have a look at

 http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/SYNTH/synth.html

and compare the hardware synthesis with FludiSynth synthesis.
You need practically "no ears" to hear that there are no
strings, at all. That disfigures the whole bigband sound.

But I think I can stop the discussion here: The newest CVS version
of TiMidity++:

  http://rnvs.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/SYNTH/synth.html

does the job very well. You cannot hear any difference
between TiMidity++ synthesis and hardware synthesis.
And if: TiMidity++ is better.

--
J.Anders, Chemnitz, GERMANY (address@hidden)