[fluid-dev] Re: FluidGUI on OS X

From: Ken Ellinwood
Subject: [fluid-dev] Re: FluidGUI on OS X
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 09:10:44 -0700 (PDT)

> One other important question: what do you precisely mean by the term
> "TCP command port"? As with Linux, any OS X process can spawn a child
> process and execute any command/program in that subprocess.  This is
> only limited by file system permissions.  Inter-process communication
> occurs via local domain sockets, pipes, or network sockets (e.g., TCP).
> In most cases though, this communication occurs through pipes rather
> than through TCP/IP.

Right, and one goal of FluidGUI is to provide a cross platform GUI.  To do that
it must work on Windows, and my experience is that I/O with a child process on
Windows is considerably more difficult (or impossible).  So when discussing the
problem with Peter, he suggested (and implemented) a TCP interface.  The reason
I say "TCP command port" is because the high-level protocol is exactly the same
as the command shell provided by fluidsynth.  If you fire up fluidsynth with
the "-s" option and the TCP server starts successfuly, then you can do "telnet
localhost 9800" and begin sending fluidsynth commands (load, channels, select,
noteon, etc) and receiving/hearing responses just like you were typing at the
fluidsynth "console".

> Is JNI some kind of a Java superclass?

JNI stands for Java Native Interface.  It is the mechanism by which Java
programs can call native code such as the fluidsynth API written in C.

Ken