[fluid-dev] Clicking, continued

From: kd4crel02
Subject: [fluid-dev] Clicking, continued
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:52:35 -0500

Hi again,

I tried my hand at changing the code in 1.0.3 to disable the filter off
optimization. It compiled and ran without errors. But the clicks persist,
just as before! So I'm thinking that these clicks have nothing to do with the
filter off optimization.

Now, I've made a rather interesting observation. I have two sound cards: my
laptop's built-in ESS Maestro and an external USB Griffin iMic. I'd been
using solely the iMic until now, so I decided to give my built-in card a try.
And guess what, it's click-free. The problem only happens with the iMic.

So there's something strange about this particular card. Something about it is
causing this clicking *only* while FluidSynth is producing the audio in real
time. If I record FluidSynth's signal sent to JACK using jackrec, and play
back the wave file - through the iMic, of course - there's no clicking at
all. But there was plenty of clicking coming out of the iMic while I recorded
it.

I wonder if there's a relationship between my computer's CPU load and the
amount of clicking... I also wonder if this is a problem with USB sound cards
in general...

Anyway, I'll keep working at this for now.

Paul