[fluid-dev] Multi-engine soundfonts

From: Dave Serls
Subject: [fluid-dev] Multi-engine soundfonts
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 19:43:54 -0600

In order to generate separate synth output streams for 2 midi input channels,
I've been successful with in a small scale test with qsynth.
A cursory (and posssibly incorrect) overview of the code indicates that on an
RT system with mlock enabled, the entire sample-data of each soundfont will
be loaded in pinned memory (if possible).  With large soundfonts this can be
crippling.

Ideally, only the sample-data for active presets should be fixed in storage,
right?
That aside, could a secondary engine use the soundfont data of the primary
engine,
with the addition of an API call like

fluid_synth_t*
new_fluid_synth(fluid_settings_t *settings, fluid_synth_t *primary)

which ignores soundfont loading and uses the information of the primary?

or could this be done with a special soundfont loader?

I guess what I really want to know is -- is the pinned memory used for
soundfonts read-only?  If so, it should be usable by all engines.

I was programmer once upon a time in a remote galaxy, but this is looking a bit
distant even for me.

Thanks for any hints.

*   Dave Serls                                 Littleton, CO, USA      *
*   dashs.denver.co.us                         sorrybiscuit.com        *