Re: [fluid-dev] Automatic polyphony reduction?

From: Kimmo Sundqvist
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Automatic polyphony reduction?
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:04:03 +0300

On Saturday 15 October 2005 22:33, you wrote:

> I'd recommend building FluidSynth standalone without enabling LADSPA.
> It may be the LADSPA code that is causing problems.

I made an ebuild for this purpose.

Configure says:
ALSA:                  yes
OSS:                   yes
MidiShare:             no
JACK:                  no
CoreAudio:             no
LADSPA support:        no
LADCCA support:        no
Readline:              yes
Debug:                 no
Profiling:             no
use long long:         no
Pentium 3+ SSE:        no

> Ohh, it just occurred to me that the PIII has problems with denormal
> floating point numbers (very inefficient when processing very tiny
> floating point numbers).  There were some fixes a long while back in
> regards to this issue, but perhaps some have surfaced again.

Playing music didn't bring the load down, and now we also know the problem is
not LADSPA.  Any switches for gcc I could try out?  Or should I try disabling
readline and oss support?

-Kimmo S.