[fluid-dev] Virtual Theatre Organ Using FluidSynth Available

From: Jim Henry
Subject: [fluid-dev] Virtual Theatre Organ Using FluidSynth Available
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 13:12:18 -0800

I am pleased to announce that the newest version of the Miditzer virtual theatre organ, which now integrates FluidSynth, is available as a free download for Windows PCs at
www.VirtualOrgan.com

This is a real-time performance program. It replicates a theatre organ. In particular, it provides organ stops so that the organist can play notes on multiple MIDI channels by playing a single key based on the stops that are selected. Stop control is an essential component to obtaining an organ performance via MIDI. Keyboard players who are unfamiliar with organs and stop control may find the Miditzer of interest even if they have no interest in the theatre organ sound. By replacing the sound font, the Miditzer interface could provide a real-time performance interface for an instrument that provided a sound entirely unlike a theatre organ.

I want to extend my thanks and greatest admiration to the programmers of the FluidSynth. The Miditzer is an extremely demanding program for MIDI sound font synthesis. Many Miditzer users use systems with two or more SoundBlaster cards to provide adequate polyphony. Some users have investigated various commercial soft synthesizers in an effort to find a way to obtain a high polyphony sound font synthesizer. None was found that could deliver adequate polyphony on a reasonably powered CPU. FluidSynth has exceeded all expectations in terms of the sound quality and polyphony it can provide on even relatively modest CPUs. The integration of FluidSynth with the Miditzer has taken the Miditzer to new heights of ease of installation that will open this program to a whole new class of users who previously found the task of using sound fonts daunting.

Jim Henry