Re: [fluid-dev] ALSA driver consuming too much CPU

From: Josh Green
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] ALSA driver consuming too much CPU
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 21:11:45 +0000

I just found and fixed the bug that was causing the 100% CPU usage
problem with the "default" ALSA device (now in CVS).  As for the sample
rate, I suspect your sound card doesn't support anything other than
48000 (yes they exist).  There is an option with ALSA to turn on
re-sampling, but FluidSynth isn't explicitly setting this option, so it
is whatever the default is (possibly disabled).

One thing I noticed about the "default" ALSA device is that it is
currently using the plug software mixer.  On my machine I'm getting a
minimum buffer size of 940 and 15 buffers!  That is a whole lot of
latency and it is useless for live work.  I'm not sure if there is
another bug that is causing that, or if that is just the limitations of
the software ALSA mixer on my machine.  Maybe there is a way to improve
that, I should do some research :)  I'm tempted to make the default
device for FluidSynth be hw:0 (that is what Jack does).  On the other
hand the "default" device is OK for MIDI playback or perhaps as a music
synthesizer in a game.

Best regards,
        Josh Green