Re: [fluid-dev] Gain distortion with many soundfonts

From: Bernat Arlandis i Mañó
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Gain distortion with many soundfonts
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 02:03:02 +0100

I've done some more investigation. Connecting Fluidsynth output to
Rezound I've saved the waveforms with lower gain (no distortion) and
higher gain (with distortion). I've always avoided clipping that occurs
at very high gain levels. I've used piano soundfonts, mainly the
"Microfont piano collection (6MB)" soundfont.

I've compared the same sound with distortion and without distortion and
I've discovered that the distortion is caused by the gain changes alone,
but I don't know why some samples don't get distorted. For example, the
"triangle simple" preset in Vintage Dreams soundfont can be maxed with
gain 140 without any distortion before it starts clipping.

I'm not an audio expert and I certainly missing something. I've tried to
ensure soundcard and speakers are not the problem. I can supply the wave
files tested. Please, could someone throw some light?

Thank you.

--
Bernat Arlandis i Mañó