Re: [fluid-dev] VLC 1.0 and SMF (MIDI files)

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] VLC 1.0 and SMF (MIDI files)
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:49:54 +0200

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas skrev:
> VLC plays MIDI files, with the help of the FluidSynth MIDI synthesizer
> library. This is optional at compile time, so please install FluidSynth
> before compiling VLC.

It's great news that VLC has chosen FluidSynth as its MIDI playback library!

I have just filed a bug in Debian to make sure they enable this feature:

> If you want to play MIDI files, you need also a good SF2 SoundFont. Choose
> one
> matching your taste and the requirements of your MIDI file collection. I like
> this one: General User GS, by S. Christian Collins (30Mb)
>
>       http://www.schristiancollins.com/generaluser.php
>
> Once you downloaded the SF2 file into /usr/share/soundfonts or any other
> suitable place, you should tell VLC about it.

As an option, Ubuntu comes with a soundfont (which is quite large, 130
MB) that it puts in /usr/share/sounds/sf2/ , that is also DFSG. It can
be downloaded from here:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/karmic/fluid-soundfont-gm

> It is a bit hidden, but I can
> provide you a detailed map:
>
> Tools -> Preferences (Ctrl+P). VLC shows the preferences dialog.
> At the botton left, Show Settings: All (radio button).
> The left side icons have changed into a tree with more options.
> Select: Input/Codecs -> Audio Codecs -> FluidSynth.
> Sound fonts (required): Here you can set the path to the GeneralUser font, or
> whatever other SF2 font you like.

Detailed maps are always appreciated, thanks :-)

> There was once a time when men were men and wrote their own SMF parsers and
> sequencers. Like the brave VLC's people. FluidSynth is used only as a MIDI
> synthesizer.

One could have hoped that they had improved our SMF parser instead, but
in the absence of sample timers / fast-render, it is understandable.

> Also, they don't use FluidSynth's output audio drivers, so you
> won't find Jack or PulseAudio output.

AFAIK, VLC supports both Jack and PulseAudio output natively.

// David