Re: [fluid-dev] Research: Fluidsynth as internal samplerfor Denemo

From: josh
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Research: Fluidsynth as internal samplerfor Denemo
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 14:43:38 -0700

Quoting David Henningsson <address@hidden>:
address@hidden skrev:
The thread concerning using FluidSynth as an internal sampler, made me
think of something.  FluidSynth should really try and auto-configure
itself as far as the audio drivers are concerned (if none are
specified).  If one fails, try another, until one works.  It should also
have a decent default GM/GS SoundFont which is used by default if
nothing is specified.

But if we did, which one? I just updated the
http://fluidsynth.resonance.org/trac/wiki/SoundFont
page to list two soundfonts we know of, but I think they're both too
large to be included in a standard release, and I doubt that a smaller
one will sound good enough.

Perhaps we could just have FluidSynth look in a standard path. I see on Ubuntu that the fluid-soundfont-gs and fluid-soundfont-gm installs FluidR3_GS.sf2 and FluidR3_GM.sf2 in /usr/share/sounds/sf2. We could add other typical paths and SoundFont files present in other distros as needed. We'd probably only want it to fallback to loading a default in the case where MIDI file playback is requested without a SoundFont, since the FluidR3_GM.sf2 is pretty big, if for some reason it got loaded when the user didn't want it to. Perhaps we could add some API too.

A system wide config would also help.  This would
allow for FluidSynth to be more automatic, when used by other
applications which just want to play MIDI events, etc.  Just a thought.
May need some API additions.

As for API additions, I'll prefer just an "auto" audio driver. The
problem, however, is to detect whether a sound driver is actually
working or not. Or perhaps, we could just check if
new_fluid_audio_driver fails or succeeds.

Sounds good. I think most audio drivers will just fail, if for some reason they aren't available. The init could happen in a certain order (better and/or more common audio drivers first).

// David

Josh