Re: [fluid-dev] [ANN] VMPK & FluidSynth 0.1.1 for Meego Harmattan

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] [ANN] VMPK & FluidSynth 0.1.1 for Meego Harmattan
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2011 21:36:07 +0200

On Sunday 23 October 2011, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 2011-10-23 13:34, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> > VMPK&  FluidSynth is a MeeGo Harmattan application for Nokia N9/N950
> > smartphones. It contains a QML based VMPK user interface bundled with
> > FluidSynth for sound generation.
> >
> > Changes since 0.1.0:
> > * fix for volume InfoBanner after N950 device software update PR1.1 (39-5)
> > * inverted theme is now the default setting.
> > * look for soundfont files all over /home/user/MyDocs and its subdir
>
> Kind of reminds me we should get a standard path for those.

This package also bundles "VintageDreamsWaves-v2.sf2" by Ian Wilson as the
default soundfont, installed on "/opt/vmpkn9/sf2". The program allows also to
select other soundfonts that the user may have downloaded from the Internet,
or copied from a PC using an USB cable, or received from a friend's phone via
Bluetooth. These files may land on any place below "MyDocs", hence the need of
a directory search.

BTW. IMO, a default soundfont directory path is less relevant than a default
soundfont file. One user told me recently about the QSynth windows package:
"How do you think that a casual user needs to learn what is a soundfont, where
to get one, and how to configure the program to use it, before trying and
deciding if the program is worth or not?". And sadly, I must admit that I
agree.

> > * fix initialization when the configured soundfont is not found
>
> Interesting project anyway! Are you using standard ALSA drivers? What
> kind of latencies do you get with those devices?

Thanks. MeeGo comes with standard ALSA drivers, and also with PulseAudio. I'm
using FluidSynth's PulseAudio driver in this project with a period size of
1024 frames, which gives an acceptable latency for this kind of application.

Regards,
Pedro