Re: [fluid-dev] Major degradation in sound quality & cpu usage going fro

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Major degradation in sound quality & cpu usage going from Ubuntu 11.04 to 11.10
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2011 20:44:44 -0600

Matt:

Thanks for the information, and responding.

I successfully compiled FluidSynth (1.1.3) on Ubuntu 11.10, and installed it, and the problem went away.

In trying the newly-compiled 1.1.3 version out, I first used it without JACK, and it worked as in the prior Ubuntu  release (11.04), with only occasional under-runs (it is only a 933 megahertz machine I'm testing on).

Then I tried it with JACK, and it also worked (with a few more of the occasional under-runs).

I will try reproducing the problem without JACK on one of my other machines.

For the purpose of reproducing the bug, I will supply a MIDI file (which can be played by whatever player you like, such as pmidi, but Rosegarden will work too.

I will supply an audio file (.ogg) of it recorded on Ubuntu 11.04 (FluidSynth 1.1.3), which does not have the problem.  It will be short - less than a minute (so not so large).  It will only be a part of the piece (so I don't give my intellectual property away).

I will file it as a bug, per your helpful instructions.

Sincerely,
Aere