Re: [fluid-dev] Link error for iOS

From: Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Link error for iOS
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 14:11:10 +0100

On Sunday 20 November 2011, MINGFEN WANG wrote:
> I will consider other commercial products to avoid the risk.

I'm sorry to read that. The fact is that there isn't any legal uncertainty;
you can use and run FluidSynth under iOS like any other operating system. The
only concern was raised about distributing FluidSynth in Apple's AppStore, but
that is another matter. You only need to respect the terms of the LGPL license
if you want to distribute a modified version of FluidSynth or a derived work.

The guy that answered your original mail has no authority to talk in the name
of the whole FluidSynth project, and he is not a copyright holder for
FluidSynth 1.0.9; please ignore his words.

> The code of yesterday can really work on iOS device, I wish to contribute it
to fluid project.

Thank you very much. This is exactly our expectation, and part of the LGPL
requirements. The development of FluidSynth 1.0.9 is closed now, as we are
currently focused in the 1.1.x development branch, but we may think about
opening a branch for a future release 1.0.10 (or whatever other name) if there
is enough interest and people involved.

Regarding your original question, you need to add a linker directive to
include the AudioToolbox framework. This may be done with a shell variable,
before running configure:

$ LDFLAGS="-Wl,-framework AudioToolbox" ./configure

Or more permanently, editing the file "configure.ac" (that creates the
configure script after running "autogen.sh")

COREAUDIO_LIBS="-Wl,-framework,CoreAudio,-framework,AudioToolbox"

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Pedro