Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth + Portaudio device selection

From: Massimo Callegari
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Fluidsynth + Portaudio device selection
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2012 11:24:28 +0100 (BST)

Hi Pedro,
ok, this is getting clearer.
To be honest I would prefer to select devices by PortAudio index as well. In my application I have a direct interface to PA, so retrieving the right index would be a piece of cake for me :)

Can you explain the other "use cases" you're talking about ? If I can help to cover most of them I would be happy to do so.

BTW I didn't mean "hardcoded" device names. I meant that if an application allows users to select a device by name, it will probably save the string on a config file for later uses. Changing the names in FS would mean one day those users will start their application and most likely won't hear any sound since the saved name doesn't exist anymore. (unless a good segfault kicks in :P)

All considered, what do you suggest at this point ? You're the boss :)

I tried to compile FS on Ubuntu 10.04 and unistd.h is not needed. Of course I'm not sure if it's the same on other Unix systems. So I guess protecting the include line like you suggested is the best way.

Cheers,
Massimo