[fluid-dev] stereo sounds and panning

From: Antoine Schmitt
Subject: [fluid-dev] stereo sounds and panning
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 00:19:57 +0200

Hi all,
I'm wondering about the usage of fluidsynth to pan stereo sounds.

The way I integrate sounds samples in fluidXtra (pluging for Adobe Director) without using sfonts is by creating a ramsfont preset which contains the sample. That was actually the first reason to introduce the ramsfont in fluidsynth.

I have a problem for panning stero sounds using this method. WHat I do for stereo sounds is creating a ramsfont preset with two samples attached to the preset, one fully pre-panned to the left and the other one fully pre-panned to the right, using generators :

fluid_ramsfont_izone_set_gen(ramsf, bank, presetNum, sampleL, GEN_PAN, -500.); fluid_ramsfont_izone_set_gen(ramsf, bank, presetNum, sampleR, GEN_PAN, 500.);

This is fine until I try to dynamically pan the preset. If I fully pan it to the left for exemple, it adds -500 to the pre-pan on both samples, and the left sample gets panned to -1000, which gets maxed to -500, and the right sample gets panned to 0. This gives a preset that sounds 50% panned to the left, and not 100% to the left as one would expect.

I'm not sure, first of the right behavior for panning on stereo sounds, and second on the best way to do it either using fluidsynth API as it is, if possible, and if not how to modify fluidsynth to do the right thing, using for example, the FLUID_SAMPLETYPE_RIGHT and FLUID_SAMPLETYPE_LEFT values for the sampletype member of the _fluid_sample_t struct, which are not used anywhere in fluidsynth actually.

Any idea ?
Thanks

++ as :: Antoine Schmitt