Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth on ARM

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] FluidSynth on ARM
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2013 10:06:03 +0200

On 07/03/2013 01:56 PM, Mauricio Kanada wrote:
I have a plan to create one small sound module based on FluidSynth.
Reading the messages on this list about FluidSynth on ARM, the
conclusion is that RaspberryPi is 'usable', but not good for this purpose.

I found that OdroidU2 is more powerfull (A9 1,7ghz quad-core) than RPI.

My question is: FluidSynth can use all cores? Can I configure (or limit)
the number
of cores that FluidSynth will use?

Thanks in advance.

There is some multicore support - you can set the synth.cpu-cores setting to the number of cores you want FluidSynth to use - but whether it makes a difference depends on your use case.

In short, with long buffer sizes (latency) and lots of voices, using more than one core is probably beneficial. If you have just a few voices or need very low latency, the overhead of multicore is likely higher than what you gain from it. So experiment to see what works best for you.

// David